7-Zip has been around for some time now and has an increasing strong support base. It offers a ton features;
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 74 languages
Well, 7-Zip is indeed worth trying and could also potentially be a default corporate archiving tool as it is reliable and more than that FREE. Corporates battered by the current economic turmoil, definitely will embrace such quality software at no cost.
An obvious downside of 7-Zip is that the GUI is not that intuitive and easy. A novice computer user may not be comfortable with its non intuitive interface. jZip exactly solves this short coming with a cool and easy GUI which is quite synonymous with WinZip archiver.
jZip is based on 7-Zip so, you get all the benefits of a proven archiving engine with an additional focus on intuitive GUI.
jZip is developed by Igor Pavlov and currently supports windows. But, the author claims that the Mac and Linux versions are in the pipe-line.
An excerpt from jZip.com
“jZip is about offering a robust compression and archiving application that’s easy to use. Something similar to WinZip, but totally FREE. We are currently working on the next jZip version that will offer additional features that will make it standout, not just as a free application, but also as the best one around.”
Highly recommended archiver for anybody – for home users, SMB and even bigger corporates. It could really kill softwares like WinZip, WinRar someday.
If you have any comments, please use the comments section below and let us know your voice or suggestions.